Those suffering from diabetes require a low sugar, low carbohydrates and low fat diet. For diabetics, your meal plan should be composed of healthy and wholesome food.
These are the six low-carb vegetables that you can incorporate in your diet. They are diabetics-friendly and are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, with fewer calories.
- Spinach – These green, leafy vegetables are rich in antioxidants that helps manage high blood pressure. Spinach also has flavonoids that are anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents. The good news is, a half cup of cooked spinach, only has 3.5 grams of carbohydrates.
- Red Bell Pepper – With only 3 grams of carbs, for half a cup, you should definitely eat more red bell peppers. They’re a good source of vitamin A, C, K and B6. Aside from being rich in antioxidants, red bell pepper are also full of folic acid.
- Cucumber – It contains caffeic acid that relaxes skin irritations and prevent swelling, cucumbers are a go-to-vegetable for diabetics. Cucumbers contain lots of potassium, magnesium and fiber that help in lowering blood pressure. They contain 2 grams of carbs in half a cup.
- Romaine Lettuce – A good source of beta carotene and vitamin C. Romaine Lettuce helps in lowering cholesterol and has potassium that can lower blood pressure. It only has 1.5 grams of carb per cup of serving.
- Green Pepper – It’s a good source of vitamin A, C and K plus they’re rich in folic acid that reduces the levels of homocysteine which increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. Only has 2 grams of carbs for half a cup.
- Okra – High in fiber and protein, okra is a good source of glutathione which helps our immune system. Only has 3.5 grams of carbs in half a cup of cooked okra.