Thanksgiving Day won’t be complete without our star menu, the Turkey! It has been our practice to feature Turkey recipes every year and this time around, we are featuring a Delectable Roasted Turkey with Apple recipe!
Filled with a rich flavoring of heavenly spices and aromatic scent of apple and ground cinnamon, this dish will surely become one of the requested recipes of your family members!
- 1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1-gallon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 gallon heavily iced water
For the aromatics:
- 1 red apple, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 6 leaves sage
2 to 3 days before roasting:
- Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.
- Combine the vegetable stock, sea salt, stevia, black peppercorns, allspice berries, and chopped ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil.
- Remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.Early on the day or the night before you’d like to eat:
- Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the turkey to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the turkey from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.
- Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the apple, onion, ground cinnamon, and 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Add steeped aromatics to the turkey’s cavity along with the rosemary and sage.
- Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16-pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting.
- Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.
- Served. Enjoy eating!