Looking for something spicy and delectable meal this summer? Easy to prepare and quick to assemble, this Spicy Beef and Sweet Potato Tacos are packed with spices and a little heat for kick.
Earthy, smoky cumin, spicy cayenne pepper, and a couple dashes of smoked paprika takes your tacos to a whole new mouthwatering level. The mild sweetness of the sweet potatoes help to tame a bit of that kick, so if you’re a little on the shy side when it comes to spicy food, you should be just fine with these.
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 c chopped yellow onion
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t ground cayenne
- 1/4 t smoked paprika (regular paprika works just fine)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8-12 small (4″) sprouted tortillas
- Chopped onion & cilantro for garnish
1. In a large skillet or fry pan, heat the oil and add the garlic & onions. Cook until just fragrant and slightly translucent. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften slightly and just begin to brown.
2. Add the ground beef, tomato paste and seasonings, and fold gently into the potatoes & onions. Cook the meat until completely browned and the sweet potatoes are tender. Check for seasoning and adjust according to taste with salt & pepper (and a little more cayenne if you’re up for it).
3. Heat the tortillas on a griddle or skillet. For the softest tortillas, lightly moisten your hands with water and pat both sides of each tortilla until it’s just damp. Place on the griddle and cook over medium heat for about 45-60 seconds on each side. Place on a plate and keep covered with foil until ready to serve. For crispier tortillas, spray your griddle with cooking spray or add a small amount of oil, then add the tortillas. Cook until warmed through and slightly browned around the edges.
4. Assemble those tacos! Grab a couple of tortillas and place a generous spoonful of the beef & sweet potato mixture inside. Top with chopped onion and cilantro.
Serve with a side of salsa if you like, and enjoy!