There is nothing more fulfilling than to see yourself and your family embarked together on a journey towards a healthier lifestyle. What better way to begin this journey than to encourage our loved ones to start eating healthy food?
But encouraging our kids to eat healthy food can be challenging since they prefer to eat junk foods. How then do we inspire and encourage them to eat healthy foods?
We present these four (4) delectable and healthy recipes that your kids will surely love!
And what’s more? They are incredibly quick and easy to make! You won’t need to worry about finding the time to prepare these dishes.
1. Zucchini Pizza Bites – Phase 1/3
If your kids are craving for pizza, zucchini pizza bite is a perfect and healthier alternative. These “bite-size” pizzas are designed to make eating fun and will surely keep your kids coming back for more! This is also an awesome dish to prepare as an appetizer during parties. Here’s a quick look on how to prepare the dish:
- 1 Large Zucchini sliced into rounds
- 2 Tbs tomato paste (of you can substitute with 1 can or 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes)
- 2 leaves fresh basil, sliced
- ¼ tsp oregano, dried and any other herbs or spices you desire
- 1 ½ brown rice cheese (for Phase 1) almond/cashew cheese (for Phase 3) – grated or small slices
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Slice the zucchini about 1/4″ thick, discarding the ends, and pop on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil
- Smear on some tomato paste with the back of a spoon, add the herbs, sprinkle with grated or sliced cheese.
- Pop under the grill for a few minutes (no more that 5) until cheese is melted. Yum!
2. Watermelon Cake – Phase 1
Who says cakes can only be made from fine flour, sugar, butter, and other unhealthy ingredients? Perish the thought! Eating cakes can be healthy whenever you want it to be! Try this watermelon cake which only consists of healthy fruits and delectable whipped cream!
- 1 whole 5 kg (11 lb) seedless ripe watermelon
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipped cream (made from egg whites and rice milk)
- Strawberries and figs
- Berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- Other Phase 1 fruits you want to add!
Preparing the Whipped Cream:
- Mix equal amounts of egg whites with rice milk to make a low-calorie heavy cream substitute. Mix the ingredients until there are no more lumps in your mixture.
- Place the watermelon on a large chopping board. Slice the top and bottom of the melon to create a flat top and base.
- With the melon standing on one end, remove the rind, including the hard white flesh. Alternatively, you may like to cut the rind off in sections and trim to achieve the same cylindrical appearance.
- Pat the cake dry with paper towel, place it on a cake stand or serving plate and set aside. Cut some of the strawberries in half lengthways and pile it to make a sturdy layer.
- Now add the fig halves – they look best face-up and on a slight angle. Fill any gaps with strawberry halves, raspberries and other fruits you want to include in your cake.
- Pour your heavy whipped cream to smooth the surface of your cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy eating!
3. Spiced Oven-Fried Sweet Potatoes – Phase 3
Choosing a healthy lifestyle absolutely does not mean we are forbidden to indulge ourselves with our favorite food.It simply means, we need to prepare a healthier option for it.
So for the fries-lovers out there, this Spiced Oven-Fried Potatoes recipe is the perfect deal!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- dash of sea salt
- 1 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder and dried oregano.
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat a rimmed baking sheet in a 450 degrees F oven.
- Cut 3 large sweet potatoes into wedges and toss with salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Arrange cut-side down on the hot baking sheet. Roast until golden brown on the bottom, 30 minutes, then flip and sprinkle with 1 sliced garlic clove and 1 teaspoon each chili powder and dried oregano.
- Roast 15 more minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
4. Non-Dairy Cheese Popovers – Phase 3
These cheesy, fluffy little bites of Non-Dairy Cheese Popovers make a savory party appetizer or snack that is totally mouth-watering and super healthy too! Get the recipe here.
With these incredibly easy and delectable recipes, you’ll be ensuring that your kids are eating healthy and the grandest part is, they won’t be complaining about it.