Spice up your Phase 3 weeknight with this filling and tasty family dinner recipe, Spicy Shrimp and Peppers with Pasta.
Ingredients easily blends together in no time that features tender shrimp, veggies, whole wheat pasta with just the right amount of heat.
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Seasoning or Italian seasoning (you can get the recipe for homemade Italian Seasoning here)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces uncooked quinoa pasta
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms, peppers and shallot in oil until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Italian or organic seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa pasta according to package directions. Add shrimp to sauce; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain the quinoa pasta; stir into sauce. Heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 4 servings.