New year means new recipes. For our dieters, lets welcome 2017 with a bang by trying out our Roasted Chicken and Winter Squash recipe for Phase 1 and 2.
- 3 delicata squash, halved, seeded and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 heads garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (about 20 sprigs)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2- to 4-lb.) whole chicken, giblets discarded
- 2 lemons, halved
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss together squash, celery, onion, garlic, oil and half of thyme sprigs in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange in an even layer.
- Season chickens (including cavities) with 5 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons pepper. Stuff cavities with lemons and remaining half of thyme sprigs. Tie legs with kitchen twine and tuck wing tips under. Place on top of squash mixture.
- Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, 1 hour to 1 hour,10 minutes.
- Remove chickens and vegetables to a platter; let rest 10 minutes before carving chickens. Reserve 1 head garlic for Cremini-and-Walnut Farro and 3/4 cup pan drippings for Pan-Dripping Vinaigrette.
Commit to a healthy lifestyle this year and follow your diet plan. Lets get cooking!