It’ll be hard for your family to resist the comforting aroma wafting through the kitchen as you prepare this Meatballs with Spiced Tomato Sauce. The lamb meatballs are flavorful enough on their own but the spiced sauce complements them well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 (6-inch) sprouted grain tortillas
- Small mint leaves
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons onion and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, and mint; add lamb, beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and egg; stir gently. Shape into 30 (1-inch) meatballs.
2. Return pan to medium-high; add meatballs. Cook 4 minutes. Remove meatballs from pan. Add 1/2 cup onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add ginger and next 3 ingredients; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return meatballs to pan; simmer 20 minutes or until done.
Serve with pitas. Sprinkle with mint leaves.