A healthier version of Irish Sweet Mashed Potatoes recipe, this recipe combines rich sweet potatoes with vitamin-packed greens from Cabbage and Leeks. This healthy dish is packed with Vitamins A, C, and K.
- 900g (2lb) small sweet potatoes, quartered
- 450ml (16fl oz) chicken stock without salt
- 450g (1lb) leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 225ml (8fl oz) coconut milk
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 green cabbage, about 450g (1lb), cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 25g (1oz) olive oil
- 4 tablespoons snipped
Place the potatoes, stock and enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, combine the leeks, milk, garlic and bay leaf in another large saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the leeks are softened. Drain, reserving the leeks, milk and garlic separately. Discard the bay leaf.
In the same saucepan, combine the cabbage and water. Cover and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 10–15 minutes or until tender, then drain. Squeeze dry and chop finely 4
Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Add the milk and garlic, and mash. Stir in the leeks, cabbage, nutmeg, salt, pepper and olive oil. Top with the chives.