Welcome year 2016 with a bang! Why not treat yourself a lifting soured cream to wake you up from the holiday hang-over? Tomato Soup with Coconut Soured Cream transforms your tomato fix into a smoky, sweet and rich soup with warmth and spice of chillies. Perfect this Winter season of New Year!
- 1.7kg medium tomatoes on the vine
- 2-3 dried ancho chillies
- coconut sour cream
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
Coconut Sour Cream:
For preparing Coconut Sour Cream:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lemon juice and salt until combined.
- Adjust salt to taste and add more lemon, if desired.
- Refrigerate for about an hour before serving to allow flavors to combine.
- Depending on the coconut milk you buy, your sour cream might end up a little grainier than dairy sour cream. You can also strain it through a fine sieve if you want it extra smooth.
1 Preheat the grill to its highest temperature.
2 Slice each tomato in half and arrange cut side up on a baking tray. Place the tray on a shelf as close to the grill as possible and cook for 30-40 minutes until nicely blackened.
3 Meanwhile, place the dried chillies in a bowl with the tomato vines, and cover with 500ml of boiling water. Set aside. Mix the lime zest with the soured cream and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
4 When the tomatoes are ready, carefully turn them over and grill for a further five minutes, or until the skins are crisp and charred. This may happen quickly so keep a watchful eye.
5 When ready, discard the vines and transfer the tomatoes and all of their juices into a blender, along with the chillies, their soaking water and lime juice. Blend until smooth, season to taste, reheat and serve garnished with a spoonful of coconut soured cream.