What better way to commemorate Independence Day than to be independent of unhealthy food and lifestyle choices. So, we offer you a salmon fish recipe that will sure knock off those unhealthy food ideas you have for the 4th of July celebration. Salmon Fish Sticks with Zucchini Chips are fun to make, tasty and appetizing, and most of all, very, very, healthy.
- 1 ½ cup olive oil
- Garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c. crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream (3 egg whites and 1 cup coconut milk)
- 6 large zucchini, sliced into 1/8″ rounds
- 1 1/2 lb. skinless salmon, cut into 1″ strips
- 1 egg
- 1 c. almond flour
- 2 c of sprouted-grain bread crumbs
- Pinch of sea salt,
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
Instructions for making heavy whipped cream:
- Mix equal amounts of egg whites with coconut milk to make a low-calorie heavy cream substitute. Mix the ingredients until there are no more lumps in your mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and insert wire racks. In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cook until garlic is softened, 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and heavy cream and heat through, 5 minutes.
- Using immersion blender, pulse until sauce is smooth. Turn off heat and cover sauce to keep warm.
- Using a mandoline, slice zucchini into thin rounds approximately 1/8″ thick. Spread zucchini into an even layer over the sheet pans. (If you do not have wire racks, place directly on parchment paper.)
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat cast iron skillet with 1 cup of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Prepare breading station with three medium bowls: one bowl with sprouted grain bread crumbs, another with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water, beaten, and the third with almond flour.
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Coat each piece of fish with flour and shake off excess, then dip in egg and coat in breadcrumbs.
- Fry fish in two batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. Season with salt immediately.
- Serve fish sticks with zucchini chips and tomato sauce. Garnish with sea salt and parsley.