If your mother is up for healthy veggie-filled meals, then this Spicy Chili with Avocado toppings will surely suit her taste! One pound of beef bulk up with eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and mushroom is one sure guarantee of a sumptuous, healthy, and heavenly meal.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic
- 1 medium eggplant (400 g)
- 5-6 plum tomatoes
- 2 large bell peppers (red and yellow)
- 1 medium yellow squash (250 g)
- 1 medium zucchini (250 g)
- 1 oz package of mushrooms
- 1-2 jalapeños (to taste; I used a large one with the seeds and ribs)
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
1. Sauteed beef with the chopped onion until it turns brown. While they are cooking, mince the garlic and add it in. Stir and add sliced-cubed eggplants.
2. Sprinkle in a little salt to help draw out the moisture.
3. Chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot with another small pinch of salt.
4. Continue to chop (mince the jalapeño) the remaining ingredients adding each to the pot and stirring in.
5. By the time you’ve finished slicing and adding in the ingredients, the beef will be already cooked and moisture will seeping out of the veggies.
6. Stir in the can of tomato paste, spices and lime juice. Cover and lower to a simmer, cooking at least 30 minutes allowing all the flavors to merge.
7. Serve with cubed avocado and cilantro on top.