A lot of fast metabolism dieters are looking forward to this long Memorial Day weekend filled with picnics and barbeque! While most people will commemorate the men and women who died in the military service for the country, lots are also looking forward to this event because it is officially the start of the Summer Season!
But before you enjoy the warm breeze of summer and indulge yourself to delicious and thirst-quenching drinks, here are the few healthy tips and reminders you can apply to make sure you’re sticking to healthy foods while enjoying the celebration.
1. Start your day with an outdoor activity – Rise and Shine! After having your breakfast, you can start this long and memorable weekend with an active and fulfilling exercise together with your family! You can do a brisk walk, jog, flying disc, or other fun-filling outdoor activities. You can also go out for a family walk after dinner, or enjoy a parade of honoring our armed services to complete your memorial day.
2. Go for delicious fish recipes – Whatever phase you’re in right now, start your memorial day by eating phase-specific broiled or grilled fish recipes. Fish recipes such as salmon, tuna and halibut are rich in omega-3, trout and herring too are also a must-try!
3. Healthy Protein Patties – want to have a bite of delicious burger and burger patties this summer? You can choose skinless chicken breasts and turkey as your source of patties to make your delicious burgers! You can also add some sprouted grain bread as your burger buns and sandwiches.
4. Drink lots of water – now that summer season has officially begun, you need to hydrate yourself with lots of water and healthy fluids to avoid heat stroke and dehydration. You can also make our refreshing smoothies to freshen up your day!
We’re also featuring a soothing and delicious memorial day phase 1 recipe for this special Day!
Grilled Chicken with Strawberry and Pineapple Salsa – Phase 1
- 2 slices pineapple, each 1/2 inch thick, patted dry
- 1 cup whole strawberries, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped, fresh mint leaves
- 1-2 teaspoons of stevia
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium lemon
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce (Link of the recipe here Note: Substitute brown sugar to stevia)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the grill on medium high. Heat the grill pan or rack on the grill for about 2 minutes, or until hot. Grill the pineapple for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, about 2 minutes, before chopping.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining salsa ingredients except the lemon. Grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest, reserving the lemon. Stir the zest and chopped pineapple into the strawberry mixture. Set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the barbecue sauce and sea salt. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to plates. Squeeze the reserved lemon over the chicken. Serve with the salsa on the side.
Have a meaningful Memorial Day!